Thursday, April 19, 2012

Levon Helm

A couple of weeks ago,(March 25th to be specific) my wife and I went to see a concert with another couple. (I’ll get to that later) We were talking about other concerts to see when I mentioned that Levon Helm was coming to Longwood Gardens. I played them some of Levon’s most recent CD, “Electric Dirt”, and it was decided to go, and tickets were purchased.  I was psyched! I’m a big fan of The Band, and I really enjoyed Levon’s two recent albums, “Dirt Farmer” and “Electric Dirt”. I had seen the reformed Band (without Robbie Robertson)a couple of times  back in the 1980s, and had always talked about going to one of Levon’s Rambles at his barn in Woodstock New York, but never got around to it. I thought that here was a chance to see one of my favorite musicians again.

But things don’t always go as planned. On April 16th, I was reading the Mandolincafe Forum, when I saw a heading that caught my attention, “Rumors about Levon Helm’s health circulating” and my heart dropped. I knew that he had battled throat cancer, but had been able to recover enough to sing again and to put out two really good albums, but nothing lasts, and it seems that Levon is fighting his last battle, one that can have only one conclusion…

Still life for Richard, Rick and Levon
So here’s to Levon,  probably the best singing drummer ever, also not a bad mandolinist, guitarist and harmonica player. Although I never met you, you and the other members of The Band have given me much enjoyment through the years.
 I’m sorry to see you go… Wish I could have seen you one more time...Thanks for all the music.




Levon Helm

The Band

Nice overview on Levon at Huffington Post

Levon Helm
May 26, 1940- April 19, 2012
R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment